10 Questions to Ask an Interior Designer
Rosa Salter Rodriguez at The Journal Gazette says about the housing market in Fort Wayne, “Ah, spring. The sun is shining, birds are singing, daffodils are popping out of the ground, and so are “For Sale” signs in neighborhood yards.” If you manage to find a house to buy, chances are that you’ll need an interior designer. You can do the job yourself or hire it done. My experience tells me that if you are not confident in your skills, a designer will save you lots of money. Here are 10 questions to ask an interior designer before hiring.
10 questions to ask an interior designer
- Do I like the designer? Can I spend a lot of time with him/her? Good communication is a must. Working with an interior designer involves some give and take. You will share ideas, and the designer will contribute insights and advice based on his or her talents, knowledge and experience. Depending on the scope of the project, you could be working with your designer a couple of weeks to many, many months.
- Does the designer ask questions to get to know me better? The key to success is getting to know you in the early stages and how you and your family’s interests and how you use your home.
- How do you charge for your time? Designers may charge by the hour, which can be anywhere from $35 to $300. These costs can quickly mount up. Others may offer a free first consultation, and then quote you a flat fee on the basis of your discussions. Some may charge for the first meeting in advance and then a fee for the whole project based on the estimated hours. Others may bill each month a level amount. Some may get a designer discount and pass some or all the savings on to you. Make sure you know how the designer gets paid and that you both agree on the budget.
- Can we accomplish the redesign and stay within my budget? Your designer will be able to estimate how much time and money it will cost.
- Do I still have to pay for it if I don’t like the design? “Yes! When you decide to hire an interior design firm, you have decided to trust the design recommendations of that firm.”
More of the 10 questions to ask an interior designer
- Are you available for conversation about changes and fine tuning? A good designer may present you with several options and give you the choice of one or the other. The American Society of Interior Designers recommends you: “Minimize changes to your plan. Changes or special requests can require any number of adjustments that will add time and expenses to your project.”
- Why shouldn’t I listen to my friend who doesn’t like your ideas? If you have to ask this question you should probably have hired your friend.
- Can I go to the local Design Center, with or without you? Of course, just let them know that you are working with a designer and his/her name.
- What do I do if a piece of furniture comes damaged? The furniture store should inspect the furniture when it arrives. The designer should also inspect the furniture before it goes to the client. If inspection misses a defect or the furniture breaks when used, the designer and the furniture store will work together with the vendor to resolve any problem.
- How long does it take to receive things, once you place the orders? Here’s a rough guideline:
Upholstered Furniture: 10-16 weeks depending on the vendor.
Casegoods – Chests, bookcases, tables, hutches, etc.: 8-12 weeks depending on the vendor.
Window Treatments: 6-8 weeks depending on size of job
Accessories, Lamps, Art Prints, Silk Flowers/Plants: 4-6 weeks or less.
Rugs: If machine made, 2-4 weeks. If hand knotted, 3-4 months
Wallpaper/Fabrics: 3-5 days.
JT Integrity Properties is here to help homeowners out of any distressed situation.
As investors, we are in business to make a modest profit on any deal. However, we can help homeowners out of just about any situation, no matter what! There are no fees, upfront costs, commissions, or anything else. Just the simple truth about your home and how we can help you sell it fast to resolve any situation.
Give us a call today at 260-202-2222 to let us know how we can help YOU!